Monday, March 21, 2011

Thoughts for Japan

It's quite difficult to process such an array of thoughts after a disaster as immense and destructive as the earthquake and tsunami (and more) in Japan. It is almost unfathomable, the things that they have had to endure in the past couple weeks.

At our house, we actually had two exchange students from Japan when the disaster occurred. Thankfully, their families were okay and they were able to make contact quickly. One of my prior exchange students, however, informed me that she had to stay in a shelter overnight and that her family had no electricity or running water. She wished to take supplies to them, but the trains were not running. It sort-of made this "hit home" more with me, knowing that these dear girls were going to return home to quite a different Japan (they were from Tokyo).

I'm sure if you want to donate something, you know you can go to various groups, such as the American Red Cross. I post only so you know where to go if you couldn't think of anything. Whether or not you wish to donate or help in some other fashion is none of my business. And in what way I choose to help does not need to be broadcast around the world either. But there are a lot of people I know who have been doing what they can to help, and this has inspired me.

I guess my only reason for posting is that these things affect us all. Ultimately, when it's across the world, it may only affect us for a relatively short time (sad, but true), but it helps to "talk" it out. I don't have television in my house (I know...I'm weird right? lol), but I have seen the news online and have seen some video clips of the devastation and it is just unbelievable. Whether they believe in my God or not, I'm praying for the people of Japan...and hoping that they get all the help they need to rebuild their country.

No comments:

Post a Comment